Title of Lesson: "The Big Lie" Story
- Students will read and analyze a simple map
from the text.
- Students will identify 5 areas in western
Europe where the Holocaust took place by making their own map of
- Colored pencils
- A basic map outline of western Europe (one per
- "The Big Lie"
1. Explain to the students that they will be
finishing the book today. Ask them to watch for and note all of
the different places where Isabella and her sisters travel.
2. When students have finished reading, ask them to identify
what places were encountered by the characters in the book (e.g.
Kisvarda, Kisvarda ghetto, Hungary, Auschwitz, Oelsk).
3. Discuss who the main characters were in the book (e.g.
Isabella, mama, Potyo, Cipi, Chicha, Regina).
4. Explain to students that they will be using a basic map
outline of western Europe to map out the main locations covered in
the book. Each student must have at least five locations on their
map. They will need to draw a small symbol for each location as
well as any major sites along the way (e.g. mountains, rivers, big
cities, railroads). Remind students they will be drawing this map
from a birds-eye point of view and that they need to keep
locations somewhat proportional. Students should use the map on
pages 36 & 37 of the book as well as any other resources
5. Students can work together but should be encouraged to use
creativity and individuality.
6. When they have finished, collect the maps and put them on
display in the classroom.
Evaluation: Check for understanding by
noting whether or not students have used the map in the book to help
them. Check for correct locations and make sure they used at least
five of the major locations in the book.