Africa - Not Just One
- The book Somewhere in Africa
is about a little boy, Ashraf, who lives in Cape Town, South
Africa. The book tells about Ashraf walking through his city's
streets and the sights and sounds he encounters on the way to the
city library. At the library Ashraf checks out his favorite book
that tells about the animals of Africa that he has never seen but
knows are "somewhere in Africa."
- Most of the people of South Africa
live in cities.
- By the year 2020 nearly 60% of the
population of sub-Sahara Africa will be living in urban
- Johannesburg, the capital of the
province Gauteng, has a population of 1.5-2 million
- Cape Town, South Africa has a
population of close to 2 million people.
- Africa has 53 countries, all with
cities that are major manufacturing, commercial, and financial
- Museums, theaters, restaurants,
hotels, zoos, and all types of transportation can be found in the
cities of Africa, much like cities in the U.S.
Return to lesson