Symbols are used to perform rituals.
are often seen throughout the symbols of the celebration which
- Mkeka (woven mat) symbol of tradition
- Kikombe cha umoja (unity cup) used to
honor ancestors in a toast in which every member of the family
- Kinara (candle holder) symbolizes the
first ancestors and the principles that were instilled by
- Mazao (crops) represent those who
celebrate the harvesting.
- Mishumaa saba (seven candles) symbolize
the seven principles.
- Vibunzi (ears of corn) each kernel on
the corn represents generations of children.
- Zawado (special gift) made by creative
minds and hands as symbols of commitments from children and
promises kept by parents.
Back to lesson