Biomes Unit Outline
- As a class make a timeline from prehistoric time to present day.
- In-groups of 3 or 4 have students read when dinosaurs lived.
- Each student will make a dinosaur wheel in-groups of 3 or 4.
- Discuss different kinds of dinosaurs (plant eaters/ meat eaters)
- As a class have students chart draw a life-size dinosaur outside with sidewalk chalk.
- Have students complete the Graph It worksheet.
- Have students in-groups of 3 or 4 complete the dinosaur theories/ death of the dinosaur worksheet.
- Have each student write a story as if they were there explaining what happened to the dinosaurs.
- Have them draw a picture to go along with their story.
- Edit stories and write a final draft
- Deserts of the world activity. Give them facts on different deserts in the world and have them share as a class.
- Desert sunrise, sunset wheel.
(Activities come from NatureScope: Discovering Deserts pages 32-33).
- Have a class discussion on the different kinds of plants and animals that can be found in a forest.
- Create a web of these on the board.
- Have them color the forest picture from Know Your Niche on page 130.
- If there is extra time play the elk game as a class.
- Read Life in the Rain Forest (page 21 of NatureScope Rain Forests: Tropical Treasures)
- Canopy picture match with poems. (pages 24&33)
- Discuss plant and animal life that is found in the ocean. Read Life in the Ocean page 16 of NatureScope: Diving into Oceans.
- Teach them a song called Sing A Sea Song (page 8)
- Surface to Sea Floor slide view. (pages 29-30, 35)
- Create a Coral Reef Pop Up. ( pages 64-65)
- Students will make a biome of their choice.
- Finish Biomes
- Review for test
- Test Day
Return to Home Page
Rain Forest Lesson