Imagine the Universe!
Imagine Home  |   Ask an Astrophysicist  |  
Ask an Astrophysicist

The Question

(Submitted January 02, 1997)

Last night I looked at the Moon. The Moon was full and there was a huge ring around it. I have seen this type of thing before and I don't know what it is. I call it a Moon ring. I was wondering if you could tell me what it is called and how it happens. I think it has something to do with clouds. I am not a scientist but I do have an interest in astronomy. Please write me back.

The Answer

While our expertise is in high-energy astrophysics, we can point you in the right direction for the answer to your question. You are correct in thinking that it is an atmospheric effect. The ring around the Moon is caused by the reflection of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring. Since the ice crystals typically have the same shape, namely a hexagonal shape, the Moon ring is always the same size.

Here is the title and author of a good reference book to physical phenomenon seen in our atmosphere (geared for HS senior or college freshman level):

Minnaert, M., The Nature of Light and Color in the Open Air, Dover Publications, New York, 1954.

Andy Ptak and Michael Arida
for the Ask an Astrophysicist team

Questions on this topic are no longer responded to by the "Ask an Astrophysicist" service. See for help on other astronomy Q&A services.

Previous question
Main topic
Next question

Imagine the Universe is a service of the High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center (HEASARC), Dr. Alan Smale (Director), within the Astrophysics Science Division (ASD) at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center.

The Imagine Team
Acting Project Leader: Dr. Barbara Mattson
All material on this site has been created and updated between 1997-2012.

DVD Table of Contents
Educator's Index