Instructions for Installing Hera Software on a Mac
- Check first to see which Mac OS your computer is running by clicking on the apple icon at the top left of the screen.
- Choose "About this Mac" and the version will be listed.
- Hera software will only operate on Mac OS 10.3 and higher. If you have a lower version try updating your machine or find a PC to attempt install on.
Installing on Mac 10.3 and above
- Download the fv software. (fv is the software that runs
Your computer will use a program called Stuff It Expander to open the downloaded file.
Once downloaded you have to have another program running (X11) in order for Hera to run.
Open your applications menu from the hard drive.
Search the "utilities" folder for a program called X11.
If it is there click to open X11 and it will begin running. (If you do not have it see below.) X11 MUST be open and running while using Hera.
Now you can click on the icon for Hera (appears as a box with the letters fv) and it should open. If not, contact us and we will try to help.
- Please visit the Imagine the Universe! site online at http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/teachers/hera/install/hera_mac.html to get the most recent version.
NOTE: Each time you wish to use Hera you must start X11 and then start Hera. You must also be connected to the Internet.
If You Do Not Have X11
How to get X11...
- X11 is available from the install disk that came wih the Mac OS 10.2 or above. You will need to reinstall the OS and select custom install. In custom install you can choose to install X11 to the applications on the hard drive. You should then be able to complete the install as directed above.
- X11 is also a free download available for Mac. It can be found on many websites for free by searching for "X11 for Mac OSX." Be sure that the version you select to download is compatible with the OS you have.